start.me is the first extension from the Chrome Web Store we present here. With it, you can add bookmarks and news feeds. It helps you to import all your bookmarks to your browser, sets the first page you load, as well as the new tab page.
- You get many basic widgets for free: unlimited bookmarks widgets, pages, news feeds, todo widget, notes.
- Valuable PRO features, like a broken link checker, Google integration, Archived pages, and image gallery.
- Teachers, business owners, or enterprises get advanced sharing and security options.
- Fast loading experience.
- Reliable Hosting in the cloud.
- Accessible through any browser or device.
- We love the modern, sleek design.
- Fully personalizable.
start.me is a versatile product. You can use it to make a start page with bookmarks to all your favorite sites. Adding widgets with the Add content button is a breeze. There are a lot of curated RSS feeds to choose from, so you don’t have to check different websites or open new tabs to stay on top of the news. You can also add notes widgets, todo lists, weather forecast information, and more. The basic widgets are free, as well as the number of pages you can use to organize your data.
The UX design of the site can be called minimalist, which is a good thing since there are many ways to personalize your pages. You can choose color schemes, add photo’s or select images from a database, and change the appearance of bookmarks in your bookmarks widgets. It loads fast, especially on your homepage.
The many options start.me has to offer are both a strength and a weakness. If you don’t personalize your homepage, you’ll never really enjoy its main benefits: increased overview, productivity, information location. We see an apparent learning curve in this product: you have to invest some effort to get to know it thoroughly. It looks to us, that the developer’s team is aware of this, as they offer both a tour and an onboarding process to help you to add valuable content to your page.
start.me is a freemium product. There are four plans:
- Basic: free to use. All essential widgets. Basic sharing options. Import and export your data.
- PRO: $ 20 / year. Basic plan + premium widgets, archived pages, broken link checker.
- Team: $ 30 / month, $ 300 / year. PRO plan + apply your branding, teams of up to 20 members, private sharing & collaboration.
- Enterprise: custom pricing. Team plan + unlimited users, multiple teams, Single Sign-On.
You can find more information on their pricing page.
Alternatives to start.me
If you’re looking for an alternative to start.me, there are many options. None of them are as versatile and powerful, but they’re still worth your attention. This is the list we’ve tried ourselves:
- Pinboard (a simple, text-based bookmark solution)
- Netvibes (dashboard with bookmarks and ‘web potions’ functionality)
- Protopage (free personalized start page)
You’ll find more options with reviews on this site: New Tab Alternatives.
In the full New Tab extensions category, we consider start.me the most versatile, fastest, and most reliable option. A professional enterprise keeps on improving the product and offers responsive support in case of any problem. start.me is more than just an extension that runs locally, it’s a gateway to an entire universe of bookmarks, news feeds, and smart widgets you can access from any browser or any device.
Speed test ookla There's nothing more annoying while traveling or working in your favorite coffee shop, than coming across a slow internet connection. What's causing the delay? With this extension from the Chrome Web Store, you don't have to guess anymore: one click,...
Full Page Screen Capture We've been looking for this screen capture extension a long time. In the Chrome Web Store there are several different options. We have tried them all, but only this one really worked for us. Of course, you can use the Snipping tool (Windows)...
Screenshot SafeInCloud The problem with Internet security is that it's a giant, opaque, frightening world of possible hurt. And costly too. Where do you start to protect yourself? What are your best options? In our opinion, you can't go wrong with SafeInCloud, a...